Wednesday 20 December 2017

Sketching


I've been trying out the Creative Sketchbooks Course from Design Matters TV. I already have a weekly video membership and the workshops are always interesting and inspiring.

My first task for the sketchbook was to draw some reflective objects from the kitchen. At first I thought "blah boring" but I tried it anyway. I understand now why reflective objects were chosen. It's much easier to concentrate on light and dark tones without the confusion of having a coloured object. There are plenty of different tones in these reflective objects and I'm pleased with how they came out. I used graphite pencils in B, 2B, 3B, and 5B.

I find that doing a blind contour drawing first makes the final sketch come out so much better as it gets you into looking carefully. I did a blind contour for the bottle opener below.



The glass below was drawn from a photograph that I had taken and then manipulated in PhotoShop. I pasted the drawing onto the photo, it's surprising how accurate it actually is!


No comments:

Post a Comment