Friday 22 December 2017

Mixed Media, Melted, Printed and Sewn Book


My textile art group have been talking about combining techniques in new ways. I wanted to make something using all of my favourite things; printing, stencils, acrylics, free machine embroidery, and melted fabric.



I used Indian cotton rag paper -  Khadi paper- which is available in sheets and books. This paper is amazingly strong and thick, it takes all type of paints not mater how wet and can be sewn through on a machine.


I started with some gesso and gel medium through some stencils which was allowed to dry before watery acrylics and metallic watercolours were applied on top. More acrylic was scraped, painted, stencilled and stamped on. Once it was all dry I cut and ripped into the book to remove some sections. The pieces I took out were all put back in a different places. I fused some acrylic felt and organza together and fused it onto the Khadi paper (see previous posts). I pinned water soluble fabric across some of the holes and free machined over it before washing the water soluble away. More machine stitching was added in other places. 









No comments:

Post a Comment