Wednesday, 13 September 2017

The Colour of Music - Quilt Top


The quilt top for my challenge is just about finished. I've added this quote by Maria Christina Mena. Next I will add the quilting...

Saturday, 9 September 2017

Deconstructed Screen Prints Again!


There were a few scraps of dye left at the bottom of the jar to use up on a few more screen prints. It's amazing how far it goes! These are all on paper. There are a couple of fabric ones still drying so there's going to be a least one more post for you before I go onto something else.







Rainbow Dyes


I had a tiny amount of fabric left so I used up the last scraps with some hand dyeing.

Friday, 1 September 2017

The Colour of Music - Work in Progress


I'm working on this small quilt for our group challenge.

First I drew the girl and shaded her with Neocolour II crayons (see below). I activated the colour with textile medium. The piano piece was painted separately using acrylics. The head will be sewn and cut out and mounted on a rainbow background.


Thursday, 31 August 2017

Printed Papers


I've used up about 20m of fabric with deconstructed screen printing and I have no more left. I had some left over print paste so I went for it on paper. This time I tried drawing on the screen with a medicine syringe filled with print paste. I love it! I used up all my release paste and I have 2 screens left to go, so another batch is ready for tomorrow so there will be another post on this soon.












Tuesday, 29 August 2017

Not MORE Prints!


Just a few more deconstructed screen prints for you.





Monday, 28 August 2017

Photo Manipulation


Today we went to the botanic gardens to photograph flowers. I've played with the posterize tool in PhotoShop. I love the bright colours and painterly effect. I hope to think of a way to incorporate these into an art piece.






Thursday, 24 August 2017

A Few More Prints


Here's a few more deconstructed screen prints. They are not coming out as bright as I would like so I have a few more experiments to do. Watch this space.



Tuesday, 15 August 2017

Melting With Cardboard Resist


Today I experimented with using cardboard shapes as a protection from the heat gun.

First I layered up felt and organza and drew around the shapes with the soldering iron to lightly fuse them to the fabric. These shapes are from Scrapmatts.


Next I blasted the fabric with my heat gun.


After pulling off the shapes it looks like this:


Next I pulled off the top layer of organza around the shapes to make them stand out more.


More layers were pulled off and details added with the soldering iron.





Here's another piece using the same techniques: